Aim of the project

The aim of this project is to walk across North China along the entire length of the Great Wall from West to East, including damaged sections and areas where the wall no longer stands. The walk is to be uninterrupted with little or no retreat to villages. All supplies are to be brought to the wall by team members.

The estimated minimum duration of the walk is six months at an approximate average of 35 kilometres per day.

As a breast cancer survivor I feel compelled to play a part in the search for a cure as well as help the disadvantaged suffering from this illness. Therefore the Great Wall Walk fund raising will benefit CANSUR, being a cancer surgical research organisation who has expressed interest in supporting this endeavour. Simultaneous fund raising will also be organised in China to benefit Chinese Cancer victims.

To support Sylvia Berjas make a donation to CANSUR http://www.cansur.org/

View more photos at

Sylvias Great Wall of China walk

and

Sylvia is getting to the end of Gansu province


Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sylvia plods on across Gansu province

14/04/08

Jing Ta

Made a detour, was taken to a town north of my normal route my . Local high school(4000 students, 80%boarding) head teacher called in with the local television to document my passing through town. Taken to visit the town, many people have never seen "a visitor from an other country" Spent the day and bus ride to my route again.

13/04/08

Walking through desert again following the wall from tower to tower remains. here they are approx 1 km apart. At a far distance, for a while, I see some high chimnies spitting pollution into the air, later I find out they are coal mines.

16/04/08
Arrived in Tian Cheng, right on the Great Wall. Most of the village is built with the wall' s bricks. its in a beautiful valley between two mountain ranges and a river running through. The scenery was unreal when I emerged from the desert, after several days walk, suddenly this valley appears in front of me . It was like watching a movie.This little oasis with poplars and willows of sharp green leaves surrounded by arid mountains, made a very colofull and spectacular scenery.

A local farmer took me to the other side of the river with a cart suspended by a cable, pulled across by his muscles. My bag was attached to a rope and winched under the cart.
A trail of donkeys and carts with farmers going home was very beautiful to watch. Woman wear face masks and very colorful head scarves, you can only see their eyes. It was really like watching a film. As a matter of fact, when I was on the opposite side of the river, from a distance, with the farmers movements, still collecting wood,It seemed like someones was shooting a film.
I stayed in a farm and taken by donkey and cart to visit the area and climbed to several wall remaining towers.


17,18,19/04/08

Luo Cheng, Gaotai, Zhang Ye

I' m fine, just arrived in Zhang Ye , a large city in Gansu province. The last week has been very eventfull. I bought a donkey and the police (local area, not open to outsiders) did not allowed the sale to go through.

It was just the one "bitchy" women, all the other police were very positive about it.
When I arrived in Luo Cheng, I was taken to the local high school, where I stayed two days, I was asked to speak to the English class; did 2 classes and a main meeting. The teachers asked the students to find me a donkey; It took 10 minutes to get results. Several teachers and I went by bike to the farm. All was settled and well( this time the donkey was very docile and willing to follow me) till I was put on the wrong bus back from the bank (had to go 40 km to withdraw money) .
Had to go to the police who could not read my visa and thought I was illegal. Was taken to the highest police station, in Gaotai ( an other 40 km) where everything was resolved; till the "bitchy" police women wanted to show me how important she was and insisted in canceling the donkey' s purchase.
Unfortunately, no begging from teachers or other police convinced her;the sale of the donkey had to be canceled. Every one was very sad and apologetic.


On my way again. Got mesage from friends, weather changing drastically temperatures will fall to -6 degree , high winds and sand storms to come. had to stay in hotel, all my warm cloths been sent away.

Got lots of blisters, just about every inch of my feet has had a blister. All getting better. It is just a month I have been walking and all goes well. Hope to complete Gansu province in 4 weeks,this is the longest province I have to cross; approx 1000kmNow that my blisters are better, I will be able to go faster. still looking for a donkey

No comments: